The Canadian community foundation movement began in Manitoba with the establishment of The Winnipeg Foundation in 1921.
Today, with 55 community foundations, our province is home to approximately one quarter of all such organizations in the country.
What is a community foundation?
How do community foundations work?
Why give to a community foundation?
- To ensure their legacy remains in the local community forever.
- To benefit a variety of charitable organizations with a single gift.
- To have the option to support a specific charity, a field of interest, or the community as a whole.
- To be assured their gift will be prudently invested and well-managed.
- To know that their gift is working with other community investments for the greatest possible impact.
- To have the opportunity to engage an entire family in philanthropy, as multiple generations may contribute to the fund over time. Some donors choose to name a fund so their family’s name lives on in perpetuity.
What is Endow Manitoba?
The Winnipeg Foundation is proud to work with our fellow Manitoba community foundations to encourage and nurture the giving spirit for which our province is known.
The community foundations included in Endow Manitoba are members of Community Foundations of Canada (CFC).